If you follow me on Instagram, you know I like to spend a good amount of time in the kitchen - it's often my outlet to get refreshed and stay creative. Although I could spend hours perusing cookbooks and stalking food bloggers, I like to make things that are simple and allow room for a little improvisation. The easier, the better. After all, what's a recipe without a little wiggle room?
A couple of weeks ago when I interviewed Carly for my latest Wholehearted Hero post, I asked if she'd consider sharing a recipe with us. She was thrilled to contribute and offered me a recipe for easy protein energy bites. I tried them a few nights ago and was so pleased with the result - they may become a new staple in my kitchen! They are easy to make and can be made with a variety of different mix-ins. The perfect mid morning or afternoon snack and only 133 calories per 2 bites!
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1 banana, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional)
- 1 Tbsp honey
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl
- Using a fork, mash and stir until all ingredients are well blended (add more oats if texture is too sticky)
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes
- Roll dough into 1 inch size balls
- Store in airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks